Essex Champs – Let’s keep up the fantastic effort so far
7 May 2017 - By Anita Grainger
We’re now 3 races into the Essex Championship Road races with 3 to go and the ladies are top…… wahooooo!
There are 3 races left to go on the dates below:
- 10k – Brentwood 10 k – Sunday 2nd July – entries open link Brentwood 10k Entries
- Half Marathon – Pleshey Half – Sunday 24th Sep – entries open http://www.springfieldstriders.org.uk/pleshey-a-essex-half-marathon.html
- 10 Miles – Stebbing 10mile – Sunday 12th November ( entries open in August)
Let’s get as many club members out as possible, it’s not just the fast runners who count. The more WRC runners we have the more we can knock down the positions of other clubs. Having a large WRC contingent at races helps EVERYONE to feel part of the team. I know personally it really helps to have lots of WRC team members around to either run with follow or cheer on. Let’s show what a fabulous friendly club we are.
Detailed below is more info on the Essex championships from a previous post. If you have any questions please feel free to ask Bill & I.
REMEMBERING TO ENTER ESSEX CHAMPIONSHIPS IN ESSEX CHAMPIONSHIP RACES
20 February 2017 – By Anita Grainger
Following on from our success in the 53-12 Cross Country League it would be great to continue this momentum over into the Essex Championship Road Races.
When entering any of the Essex Championship races please remember to select Essex Championship and enter as Witham running club. With the standard of our runners improving we are in with a good chance of medals either as individuals or as a team & it would be a great shame to miss out just because of an admin error.
Below is the link to the Essex endurance site with more info on the championships and an extract pasted below
Championships Info & Scoring
The Championships are held annually over several distances – 5M, 10K, 10M, Half Marathon, 20M and Marathon. Indeed, some races have been held since 1920s.
In addition to the individual championships for each distance, points are awarded for the first 25 in each age category of each race. These points are are totted up after the last race and medals awarded to the first three in each age category overall.
The following trophies are awarded to the winners of each distance as follows:
Distance Men’s Trophy Ladies’ Trophy
The points scoring is as follows (2016)
1. Points awarded for the best 5 races out of the 6 – runners can “drop” their worst race score.
2. The “attendance” point system remains (1 point for doing 1 of the races, an additional 2 points for the 2nd, etc up to 5 points for the 5/6th race). In total a runner could get 15 points by doing 5 races (1,2,3,4,5). The attendance points will only apply to age categories (not the open category);
3. “Position” points to the top 25 runners in each category remain – 1st gets 25 points down to 25th gets 1 point.
4. All races will score the same (no additional points for the longer races)
Anita & Bill , Ladies & Mens Captains